9 Ways to Extend Grace to Others
Showing grace to others is about showing kindness even when they don’t deserve it. God has shown such grace to us. We, in turn, are asked to show grace to each other. Here are nine ways to extend grace to others.
1. Words- Be kind and gentle in what you say and how you say it.
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger." –Proverbs 15:1
2. Look for Needs and Opportunities- simple everyday kindnesses and actions often help in great ways. Here are a few ideas to start with…
"Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor;" -Romans 12:10
3. Let it Go- respond to others with grace. Sometimes people are going to be rude. Instead of responding harshly, keep a calm spirit.
"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 20:3
4. Be There- Sometimes your presence is all that’s needed to show someone they’re loved. Be happy with the person who’s happy. Be sad with the person who’s sad.
"Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep." –Romans 12:15
5. Forgive- when someone asks you to forgive, do so graciously and without correction.
"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." –Matthew 6:14-15
6. Learn to Ask for Forgiveness- Be quick to apologize when you make a mistake or have wronged someone else.
"Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering." – Mathew 5:23-24
7. Watch the Way You Speak- be careful how you express yourself
"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." – Ephesians 4:29
8. Gratitude- say thank you often and let people know how much you appreciate them.
"In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." – 1 Thessalonians 5:18
9. Take an Interest in Others- learn about other people, ask them questions, listen and care.
"Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves." – Philippians 2:3
Who can you be gracious towards today?